Director of Admissions and Enrollment Management
St. Clair County Community College (Port Huron, Michigan) – May 2016 to February 2022
- I was responsible for planning and executing the enrollment management and overall marketing plan for the college, including outreach to various potential student demographics: high school/early college, traditional students, adult/non-traditional students, and non-credit/personal enrichment students.
- I also provided supervision for the college’s Testing Center, including establishing placement cut scores in cooperation with faculty, and updating policy records in Ellucian Colleague.
- I designed and programmed the college’s current website, which launched in 2019. The site uses WordPress as its content management system, and I designed and developed the theme for long-term functionality.
- Final title is shown. Previous titles: Director of Recruitment & Career Services (May 2016-October 2016); Director of Admissions & Marketing (November 2016-November 2017 and February 2020-June 2021); Director of Admissions (December 2017-January 2020).
Academic Advisor and Recruiter
St. Clair County Community College (Port Huron, Michigan) – July 2013 to May 2016
- I assisted community college students with scheduling, degree completion, transfer planning, academic concerns and other issues. I worked with local high schools to provide information about the college and its programs and answer questions for high school counselors. I was also the liaison to several Michigan colleges and universities, acting as the point person for questions on transferability of classes and articulation agreements.
- Over the three years I worked as an advisor and recruiter, I developed relationships with hundreds of individual students, faculty members, staff and members of the community. Many students returned to see me each semester due to the level of trust I developed with them.
St. Clair County Community College (Port Huron, Michigan) – 1997 to 2004 and 2008 to 2016
- From November 2008 to May 2016, I taught Fundamentals of Acting, Intermediate Acting, Improvisation and Role Play, and Oral Interpretation credit courses. I revised and developed course abstracts for those and other theater courses. I was the Artistic Director for the college’s four student theater productions each academic year, selecting the plays to be performed and preparing budgets and other pre-production details. I also served as Technical Director for most of those productions.
- From 1997 to 2004, I taught computer training courses and seminars for the college’s Workforce Training division, including Microsoft Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook. I also created and taught courses on personal digital assistants (PDAs) and genealogical research and software.
Owner and Creative Director
Kephart + Associates (Mount Pleasant and Marine City, Michigan) – 1987 to present
- I’m an experienced graphic designer of marketing and advertising materials, including magazine and newspaper ads, full-color product brochures, catalogs, pricing guides and other collateral items. I’m a writer and editor of marketing and technical content, including service and operating manuals, specification sheets, and technical literature; advertising copy for radio, television and print; and corporate speeches and presentations.
H.B. Stubbs Companies (Warren, Michigan) – 2008
- I was responsible for marketing communications for a company that designs and fabricates trade show exhibits as well as environmental displays including museum work and corporate lobby displays. I set goals for and implemented marketing and public relations strategies; I was also webmaster and editor of the corporate website and the internal employee intranet. I was also responsible for the design and creation of formal proposal responses to RFPs and other brand identity standards.
Public Access & Government Affairs Coordinator
Comcast (New Haven, Michigan) – 2006 to 2007
- I managed the Lake Huron System public access channel, including scheduling programs, producing and directing television coverage of local events, maintenance of equipment, and supervision of production staff. I also assisted with government affairs tasks, including interaction with local and state elected officials and their staff on franchising and other issues.
Documentation Department Supervisor
Cardell Corporation (Rochester Hills, Michigan) – 1996 to 1997
- I created the Documentation Department at a Tier 2 automotive supplier to Ford and Chrysler in preparation for the company’s QS9000/ISO9001 compliance inspection. I organized existing documentation and wrote a Documentation Control Manual that met QS9000 standards. I also supervised a staff of two technical writer/editors and managed the department’s budget. The department was also responsible for the digital storage and cataloging of company documents.
Northwood University (Midland, Michigan) – 1994 to 1995
- I taught a course on the use of personal computers in commercial art and graphic design, using PageMaker software. I developed course materials, assignments and tests, and managed student records.
WHGR-AM & WJGS-FM (Houghton Lake, Michigan) – 1984 to 1985
- I hosted a midday shift for an Adult Contemporary and Local News/Talk station (WHGR), and weekend shifts for a Top 40 station (WJGS). Responsibilities included newscasts, hosting a daily community affairs program, commercial copywriting and production, selection of music play lists, football play-by-play, promotions and live remotes.
WCFX-FM (Clare/Mount Pleasant, Michigan) – 1983 to 1984 and 1985 to 1989
- I hosted afternoon, evening and overnight shifts for an Adult Contemporary station. Responsibilities included newscasts, commercial copywriting and production, promotions and live remotes.
Michigan Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (MACRAO) – January 2021 to present
- I’m in the third year of a three-year leadership track with one of Michigan’s leading organizations for professionals in higher education. I served as president-elect in 2020 and as president in 2021. I’ve also chaired the MACRAO committee on enrollment management, served as the web editor for the association, and was instrumental in organizing two virtual and one in-person state-wide conferences.
Michigan Community College Admissions Directors (MCCAD) – June 2019 to November 2020
- Organized the annual MCCAD Conference at our college in 2018. Assisted with a move to more regular virtual meetings in 2020.
Advisory and Grants Committee Member
Blue Water Arts Committee of the Community Foundation of St. Clair County (Port Huron, Michigan) – 2007 to 2013
- I worked on establishing guidelines and procedures for a new fine arts funding group, part of the Community Foundation of St. Clair County. I’ve also served on the grants subcommittee, responsible for determining funding of grant applications from local arts organizations.
Actor, Director, Designer, Technician, Board President
St. Clair Theatre Guild (Saint Clair, Michigan); Port Huron Civic Theatre (Port Huron, Michigan); Theatre Sarnia (Sarnia, Ontario); The Borderline Theatre Group (Marine City, Michigan) – 2001 to present
- I’ve worked on over eighty live theater productions in the last twenty years and directed thirty of them. Genres include comedy, drama and musical theater. I’ve also done set, lighting and sound design and other technical theater tasks. I have served as an adjudicator for high school theater competitions.
Producer, Director, Sports Commentator, Program Host
CTV – St. Clair Community Television (Saint Clair, Michigan) – 2001 to 2012
- I’ve been a play-by-play announcer and color commentator for high school soccer and football for Marine City and St. Clair High Schools. I’ve produced, directed and hosted other public interest programs, as well as serving as camera operator, graphic designer and operator and other tasks for a local public, educational and government (PEG) cable channel.
American Youth Soccer Organization (AYSO) – Region 673 (East China, Michigan) – 2000 to 2003
- I was responsible for a year-round youth soccer program (over 600 players, aged 4 to 18), including budgeting, equipment purchases, team formation, scheduling, management of grants and donations for a major field construction project and volunteer training and supervision.
- Web & Print Graphics: Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, InDesign
- Content Management Systems: WordPress, Drupal, MemberClicks Oasis
- Customer Relationship Management: Insightly, MailChimp, Constant Contact
- Student Information Systems: Ellucian Colleague
- Collaboration and Meeting Platforms: Microsoft Teams, Zoom, GoToMeeting, Slack
- Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook
- Video & Audio: Adobe Premiere and Audition, Apple iMovie and GarageBand; PreSonus Studio One
- Operating Systems: Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS
- Theatrical lighting and sound equipment
- Power tools
Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts
Central Michigan University (Mount Pleasant, Michigan) – August 1986
Double major in Geography and Earth Science, with a concentration in Cartography
Master of Science in Data Analytics
Western Governors University (Salt Lake City, Utah) – Currently pursuing